FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 16, 2023
Media Contact: Melissa Garriga | [email protected]
MASS ANTI-WAR RALLY OUTSIDE WHITE HOUSE ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE INVASION OF IRAQ
“Fund People’s Needs, Not the War Machine!”
WASHINGTON - Coinciding with the 20th anniversary weekend of the criminal U.S.-invasion of Iraq a major set of actions will take place including a demonstration at the White House in Washington, D.C. on Saturday March 18 demanding “Peace in Ukraine–Say NO to Endless U.S. Wars” and “Fund People’s Needs, Not the War Machine.” Since 2003, the U.S. has engaged in sanctions (economic war) on over 40 countries. These targets of U.S. economic warfare include the people of Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Iran and many other nations. Even in the wake of the worst disasters, like the recent deadly earthquake, Washington keeps its cruel sanctions in place against Syria.
The weekend of actions is co-sponsored by CODEPINK, ANSWER Coalition, The People’s Forum, and Black Alliance for Peace. The main rally and march takes place in D.C. on Saturday, March 18, outside the White House in Lafayette Park at 1pm ET.
The united demands shared by the co-sponsors and the massive list of anchoring organizations are:
Peace in Ukraine - Negotiations not escalation!
Abolish NATO–End U.S. militarism & sanctions on Syria, Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Iran and many other nations
Fund people’s needs, not the war machine!
No war with China!
End U.S. aid to racist apartheid Israel!
Fight racism & bigotry at home, not other peoples!
U.S. hands off Haiti!
End the siege on Syria!
Free all political prisoners–Mumia Abu-Jamal, Julian Assange, Leonard Peltier, and many others
The Biden administration is determined to escalate the Ukraine war. The actual goal of the massive arming and training of Ukrainian forces has nothing to do with the interests of Ukrainian, Russian or American people. Instead, the aim is to “weaken Russia” as stated by the U.S. Secretary of Defense himself, even at the risk of a catastrophic nuclear war that could end life on Earth. A U.S. General commanding 50,000 troops in the Pacific also issued a letter to his sub-commanders in recent days stating he believes the United States will be at war with China within two years.
We are at a global crisis point that continues to grow the longer the war in Ukraine continues. This compels people from across the country to travel to D.C. for the 18th or attend a rally close to them.
Other rally locations include:
- Columbus, OH - 2:00 p.m at the Ohio State House
- Des Moines, IA - 2:00 p.m. at 915 Mulberry Street
- Fresno, CA - 12:30-2 pm at the Corner of Blackstone and Nees Aves.
- Los Angeles, CA - 1:00 p.m. Rally begins at CNN Building (6430 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood)
- Madison, WI - 11:00 a.m. at the Anderson Street and Wright Street
- Minneapolis, MN - 1:00 p.m. at Library Plaza (Hennepin & Lagoon Ave S.)
- San Diego, CA - 3:00 p.m. at Miramar Rd. & Clayton Dr.
- San Francisco, CA - 12:00 p.m. at 24th and Mission St. BART
- Seattle, WA - 2:00 p.m. at Westlake Park
- Spokane, WA - 1:00 p.m. at Tom Foley Federal Building (920 W Riverside Ave)
- Springfield, MO - 5:00-7:00 p.m. at Park Central Square
- Westbrook, ME - 1:30 p.m. at Stroudwater St. & William Clark Dr.
For more information regarding the rally or for media interviews, please contact Melissa Garriga - [email protected]