This “Memorial Day” take action so there are no more deaths to memorialize from war. Join us to organize caravans for peace and disarmament—so that we can achieve a global ceasefire and move America’s priorities from warfare to healthcare.
Historically, Memorial Day has been used to mourn the dead in a way that, quite frankly, idealizes war and fuels more military spending at the expense of healthcare and other life-supporting needs. This weekend join us in engaging for peace. Along with being Memorial day, this weekend also includes International Women’s Day for Peace and Disarmament dedicated to exposing war as the leading cause of the climate crisis.
In cities across the country, we will decorate our cars and our bikes with messages of peace: Healthcare Not Warfare, War Is Not Green, Global Peace Now, and all the other messages you want to share as we raise the flag of peace.
These cities already have peace caravans planned:
Don’t see your city listed here? Consider organizing a peace caravan in your community.
- It’s easy: It can be as small as 2-3 cars.
- It’s safe: You stay in your cars.
- It’s fun: People really want to come out in a safe way and do actions together.
- It’s media-friendly: The press is looking for actions to cover.
Don’t want to be out in your car on the streets? Add one of our signs in your window. We have beautiful images such as this one for printing or you can make one by hand.
Each community will shape their peace caravan event as they want. The goal is to be visible, calling on our country to focus on fighting COVID-19 and the climate crisis, not Venezuela, Iran, China, or any other nation.
Looking for more actions to take to end war?
- Donate to CODEPINK and we'll send you our "Support the Peacemakers" bumper sticker
- Add your name to the UN Secretary General’s call for a Global Ceasefire. As António Guterres says: “the fury of the virus illustrates the folly of war.”
- Join the letter to Joe Biden urging him to adopt a principled, peaceful foreign policy. The letter is from more than 50 national progressive, anti-war, and faith organizations, representing millions of Americans.
- Don’t let the Trump administration start wars with Iran and Venezuela. Tell them to keep their hands off the ships traveling between the two countries.
- Support the Cuban doctors fighting COVID-19 all over the world by adding your name to call for them to receive the 2020 Nobel Prize.
- Join the call to eliminate all nuclear weapons!
We, like you, have been watching in terror as the coronavirus pandemic has offered fascist leaders around the world an opportunity to consolidate power. We have also been watching in horror as the virus in the US has disproportionately taken the lives of black and brown people. We know that it is only by providing healthcare to all people that any of us can be safe. That is why we are so committed to doing what it takes to achieve a global ceasefire and move the U.S. budget from stockpiling weapons to providing for human needs. Join us this weekend in whatever capacity is right for you to send a loud and clear message: HEALTHCARE, NOT WARFARE!
Medea, Jodie, Ariel, Ann, Asia, Carley, Caty, Cody, Emily, Kelsey, Leila, Leonardo, Makena, Mary, Michelle, Nancy, Paki, Teri, and Yousef