[CODEPINK on Capitol Hill Calling calling for a ceasefire in Gaza and no more money to Israel - Nov. 7, 2023]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dec. 4, 2023
MEDIA CONTACT: Melissa Garriga | [email protected]
100 Pro-Palestine Advocates to Gather at Senate, Urging Ceasefire in Gaza and No US Funds to Israel
WASHINGTON, D.C. - On Wednesday, December 6, at 10:00 AM, a coalition of concerned citizens and prominent organizations, including CODEPINK and the American Palestinian Women's Association, will converge at the Senate to demand an immediate ceasefire in Gaza. The gathering seeks to challenge Congress's proposed allocation of an additional $14 billion in aid to Israel.
Despite overwhelming public sentiment for a ceasefire, as evidenced by numerous opinion polls, only four senators have voiced support for such action. This event aims to spotlight the urgent need for Congress to align with the will of the American people and address the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
This event underscores the urgency of addressing the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and calls on Congress to reconsider its proposed aid allocation to Israel in light of the prevailing public sentiment for an immediate ceasefire. The coalition stands united in its commitment to amplify the voices of the American people and advocate for a just and humane foreign policy.
- Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2023
- Time: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM ET
- Location: Senate Dirksen Cafeteria, Washington, D.C.
10:00 AM - Teach-In: Exposing AIPAC's Influence
- The day will commence with a teach-in, shedding light on the toxic influence of the pro-Israel lobby group AIPAC on American democracy and foreign policy.
11:30 AM - Congressional Office Visits
- Attendees will visit the offices of congresspeople who are major recipients of AIPAC money, symbolically leaving fake money stained with red paint. The goal is to question senators about their allegiance to a foreign government, Israel, over the interests of their constituents and humanity.
12:00 PM - Visual Representation of Humanitarian Crisis
- A poignant visual display will be set up, featuring symbolic elements such as bloody hands, baby dolls, and sheets stained with fake blood. Signs will call for an immediate ceasefire, drawing attention to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
Members of the media are encouraged to accompany the coalition throughout the day. For media inquiries and further information, please contact: Melissa Garriga [email protected] or Medea Benjamin [email protected]