FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JULY 12, 2023
MEDIA CONTACT: Melissa Garriga | [email protected]
Rally Outside White House for the Sovereignty of Latin American & Caribbean Countries
Celebrate and Defend the Sovereignty of Latin American & Caribbean Countries!
WASHINGTON–CODEPINK alongside a coalition of 20 organizations, including Friends of Latin America, Black Alliance for Peace and many more, will hold a rally to support the people of Latin America and the Caribbean in their long-standing fight against colonialism and U.S. imperialism outside the White House on Sunday, July 16, at 2pm.
July is a significant month for the peoples of Latin American and Caribbean. July 19th is the anniversary of the Sandinista People’s Revolution in Nicaragua. People from all over Nicaragua assemble in the Plaza de la Revolución in Managua to commemorate a momentous and joyous occasion ― the overthrow of the Somoza military dictatorship. July 26th is the anniversary of Comandante Fidel’s attack on the Moncada barracks that eventually led to the Cuban revolution.
July 19, 2023 also marks the third takeover of Lima by the indigenous, rural peoples of Peru who have been resisting the coup against elected President Pedro Castillo since December 7, 2022. While we rally for sovereignty in DC, this new round of protests called the “National Day of Permanent Popular Mobilization” will take place between July 19 and 28.
The DC rally demands to the White House and Congress are:
- Celebrate and Defend the SOVEREIGNTY of Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela!
- Solidarity with the people of Peru, Haiti, Colombia, Honduras, Mexico and other countries struggling to achieve full SOVEREIGNTY!
- U.S. Hands Off Latin America and the Caribbean!!
The coalition includes:
- Friends of Latin America
- PEX Semillas de Libertad
- Nicaragua Solidarity Coalition
- Frente de Mujeres Internacionalistas por la Justicia y la Paz
- Black Alliance for Peace Haiti-Americas Team
- Alliance for Global Justice / Casa Baltimore-Limay
- Baltimore Phil Berrigan Veterans For Peace
- Peoples Power Assembly Baltimore
- Popular Resistance
- Socialist Unity Party
- Women In Struggle/Mujeres en Lucha
- D-19 Libre (of Honduras) US-Canada-Costa Rica
- Pan African Community Action
- Claudia Jones School for Political Education
- ANSWER Coalition / Party for Socialism and Liberation
- CPUSA Baltimore club
- Solidarity Committee of the Americas