Art by: Emory Douglas
May 17, 2023
Media Contact: Melissa Garriga - [email protected]
CODEPINK Joins Emergency Demonstrations to Demand Hands off Haiti
Solidarity Day of Action in San Francisco and Washington D.C.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CODEPINK joins the Haiti Action Committee in San Francisco and Black Alliance for Peace in Washington, DC bicoastal emergency demonstrations in solidarity with the Haitian people on Thursday, May 18.
Haitians are in a fight for sovereignty from the violence of foreign intervention. Over the past year, massive popular protests have been part of a broader struggle for a Haiti free from suffocating foreign interference.
The “crisis” in Haiti is a crisis of imperialism, a crisis initiated in 2004 by the United States, France and Canada, and consecrated by the United Nations.
CODEPINK supports the following demands:
- Stop the massacres! Stop using our tax dollars to fund the brutal Haitian National Police and affiliated death squads
- Stop supporting the dictatorship of Ariel Henry
- Stop blocking, attacking, and deporting Haitian refugees
- Support the Haitian people's struggle for liberation and their own transition government free from interference by the US and the Core Group
- End the occupation! Sovereignty and self-determination for Haiti
Organizers are asking people to call, tweet, and email these demands to their Representatives in the House by going to https://www.house.gov/representatives and their Senators by going to https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm, and to the President Biden by going to https://www.whitehouse.gov/get-involved/write-or-call/. As well as call or tweet UN Secretary-General António Guterres with the same demands at (212) 963-7160 and @antonioguterresA on Twitter.
The D.C. day of action is from 11am-12:30pm ET outside the OAS at 200 17th St NW.
The San Francisco day of action is from 4-7pm PT. It starts outside SF UN Plaza at Corner of Fulton and Hyde Streets and will be followed by a march to the US Federal Building in San Francisco.
For more information, please contact [email protected]