Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman (MbS) is in the United States meeting with elected officials, media, and tech executives to sell the myth that he is a reformer and say that Saudi Arabia’s repressive regime is open for business. We must take a stand against MbS’ web of lies, demanding that he stop his catastrophic war in Yemen and lift his humanitarian and commercial blockade.
MbS is selling his kingdom as a burgeoning economy with significant reforms in sight to venture capitalists and tech executives including top Google executives. After all, he gave women the right to drive! MbS fails to mention that he kidnapped his mother, arrests dissidents, and is waging a war against a religious sect in Yemen.
So why is Google helping MbS build tech infrastructure to continue his repressive actions? MbS is a mass murderer, war criminal, and absolute dictator who is not only the de facto leader of a repressive regime but has also single-handedly led the charge in one of the most disastrous conflicts of the post-Cold War era with his relentless strikes against the people of Yemen. Tell Google to say no to MbS until he ends his disastrous war in Yemen.
Can the executives at Google willingly go into business with such a man? Saudi Prince Mohammad bin Salman:
- Has killed 5,000 civilians in their war against Houthi rebels in Yemen
- Launches air strikes on homes, markets, hospitals, schools, and mosques
- Uses internationally banned cluster munitions
- Allows 14.4 million Yemeni civilians to starve
- Imprisons & flogs reform activists and peaceful dissidents
- Criminalizes religious diversity & sentences religious dissidents to public execution
- Persecutes LGBTQ+ citizens
- Retains a male guardianship system over women
There are no excuses or veneer of reform that can change the truth. It’s time to divest from war and say NO to Saudi Arabia.
We will not normalize violence and human rights violations!
In peace and solidarity,
Ann, Ariel, Brienne, Jodie, Kelley, Kirsten, Mark, Medea, Nancy, Paki, Sarah, Sophia and Tighe