Today marks 19 years since the horrific 9/11 attack that resulted in the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, wars that cost the US $6.4 trillion dollars. And for what? To kill thousands of US soldiers, millions of Iraqis and Afghans, and spread destruction throughout the Middle East and beyond.
Nineteen years later, polls have repeatedly shown that the American people are tired of these endless wars that both parties are responsible for. That’s why Donald Trump is suddenly painting himself as the anti-war candidate. He recently accused Pentagon leaders of perpetuating pointless wars to benefit military contractors, and just days ago announced the withdrawal of thousands of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Join us in telling Trump that he isn’t fooling us. Over the past four years, he has only doubled down on the worst parts of the United States’ destructive foreign policy: increasing the Pentagon budget, sidestepping Congress to sell more arms to the Saudis, vetoing the Yemen War Powers Resolution, bringing us to the brink of a war with Iran, imposing deadly sanctions on Iran and Venezuela. Right now he is working on a deal to sell arms to the UAE, and is creating a new Cold War with China.
Clearly, Trump is no dove and neither is Joe Biden, who just yesterday announced that he does not foresee cutting the Pentagon budget if elected. In fact, he says that military spending would likely increase under a Biden Administration.
We can’t spend another four years with a militarist in the White House. Today, on the 19th anniversary of 9/11, with the 2020 election less than two months away, we are calling on both Donald Trump and Joe Biden to adopt a truly anti-war platform and run as a president for peace. Contact the candidates now and demand they pledge to be a president for peace!
Neither major party candidate can be counted on to promote what the American people want: an end to US militarism that creates so much death and destruction and robs us of the resources we need to solve our real problems, such as the climate crisis and this pandemic. That’s why we need your help to flood Trump and Biden with demands that they pledge an end to our militarist approach to foreign policy and endorse CODEPINK’s 10 point President for Peace platform.
Tell Trump and Biden: we need a president for peace. Adopt a truly anti-war foreign policy! We are not under any delusions. We know it is unlikely that Trump or Biden will radically shift their platform just weeks before the election. But they have to feel our pressure. And we have to build our power as an anti-war movement. That’s why we have several great ideas for how you can promote nonviolence beyond the ballot box. Take the following actions:
- How did your representative vote on historic legislation to cut the Pentagon budget by 10 percent? Find out here and if they voted the wrong way, hold them accountable!
- Add your name to the letter initiated by CODEPINK and signed by 100 organizations urging the presidential candidates to end the Monroe Doctrine and establish a Latin American foreign policy based on the principles of non-intervention, mutual respect, and working together as good neighbors.
- Sign CODEPINK's Letter to Biden: Disarm from nuclear weapons and create a vision for peace. #ChinaIsNotOurEnemy.
- Tired of Israel’s war on the Palestinians and filled with dread as COVID is spreading in Gaza? Tell Congress to demand that Israel lift the siege!
- Early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, USAID suspended its aid to war-torn Yemen. Tell Congress that the aid must be restored and expanded immediately in order to save lives!
- Sanctions kill! Take action for diplomacy with Iran.
Two decades since 9/11 and we have been engaged in endless wars. It’s time to stop. Join us working toward peace.
Medea, Angela, Ann, Ariel, Carley, Caty, Cody, Danaka, Emily, Jodie, Kelsey, Leila, Leonardo, Maxine, Mary, Michelle, Nancy, Paki, Teri, and Yousef