FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jan. 23, 2024
Media Contact: Melissa Garriga | [email protected]
CODEPINK supports Historic Resolution by U.S. Congresswoman Nydia Velázquez to Annul the Monroe Doctrine
Washington, D.C. — CODEPINK, World Beyond War, and Roots Action are launching a campaign in support of House Resolution 943, an exciting resolution aimed at transforming U.S. policy towards Latin America and the Caribbean. In December, U.S. Congresswoman Nydia Velasquez, alongside Congress members Casar, Ramirez, Garcia, and Ocasio-Cortez, introduced this groundbreaking resolution aimed at annulling the harmful 200-year-old Monroe Doctrine and instead establishing a "New Good Neighbor" policy that would enhance collaboration between the United States, Latin American and the Caribbean.
- RES. 943 represents a critical step towards dismantling the historical framework of the Monroe Doctrine, which has led to decades of U.S. efforts to impose its will on Latin America. This call for a radical change in U.S. policy is welcomed by CODEPINK as a breath of fresh air that could have positive consequences for the entire region.
Key components of the resolution include:
- Respect for Sovereign Economic Development Plans: Affirming respect for the integrity of sovereign economic development plans proposed by governments in the region.
- Termination of Unilateral Economic Sanctions: Calling for an end to all unilateral economic sanctions imposed by the U.S.
- Review of Bilateral Assistance: Proposing an automatic review of bilateral assistance in the event of an extra-constitutional transfer of power.
- Declassification of Archives: Advocating for the declassification of all archives related to past coups d'état.
- Reform of International Organizations: Urging reforms within organizations such as the Organization of American States, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and Inter-American Development Bank to ensure accountability, transparency, and independence.
As part of the advocacy for this resolution, CODEPINK, World Beyond War, and Roots Action are mobilizing constituents to engage with their representatives by writing letters of support and visiting members in Congress.
This historic resolution marks a pivotal moment in reshaping diplomatic relations in the Americas and fostering a new era of cooperation and understanding.