“Don’t call yourselves a free people, a free person, if you can’t make changes, if you can’t stop a genocide that is still ongoing. We’re so close to the 100th day of murdering and genocide.” These words from Motaz Azaiza, the beloved journalist in Gaza, should serve as motivation for us across the globe to use whatever freedom we have to stand up and demand justice.
South Africa is showing the world what the pursuit of freedom looks like by charging Israel with genocide in the World Court. Earlier this morning, when the first hearing took place, Israel was busy murdering more than 100 Palestinians and injuring over 200 more just as they were being charged with genocide in the highest court in the world! Shame!
South Africa’s solidarity actions have already had ripple effects across the globe, empowering Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Jordan, Malaysia, the Maldives, Namibia, Pakistan, Turkey, and Venezuela to officially endorse its case against Israel. We must move as many countries as we can to support the case so that Israel cannot escape accountability. The President of Algeria, Abdelmadjid Tebboune, already called Israel’s actions in Gaza genocide. Algeria was even cited twice in South Africa’s application to the International Court of Justice, once for describing Palestinian genocide, and again for being a member of the Arab Group at the United Nations who identified collective punishment and genocide of the Palestinian people by Israel.
Motaz is right. A world in which genocide can happen in Palestine, or anywhere, is a world in which no one is free.
👉 Use what freedom you have to act now! And every day:
- Tweet to the President of Algeria in Arabic and English encouraging him to support South Africa’s case!
- Join us for a march on Washington on January 13th!
- Visit our guide on how to support the march on Washington!
- If you’re in the US: Tell the Senate to hold Israel accountable!
- Join us for the next Missing Peace Monday meeting on 11/15, Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
- Stay informed! Watch South Africa's closing statement from today's hearing.
- Sign up for our Palestine Solidarity ListServ to get the most up-to-date information!
Nour and the whole CODEPINK Team