On August 19, 2020, CODEPINK co-director Jodie Evans and campaign organizer Nancy Mancias hosted a virtual commentary on the 2020 Democratic National Convention. Guest speakers included Phyllis Bennis with the Institute for Policy Studies, the Executive Director of Tricontinental: Institute for Social Research Vijay Prashad, Caty Seger with Feminist Foreign Policy Coordinator, Leonardo Flores the Latin America campaigner with CODEPINK, and CODEPINK co-directors Medea Benjamin and Carley Towne. Watch and listen to their essential analysis.
Ahead of the virtual commentary, CODEPINK surveyed its members about the upcoming presidential election. Here’s how they responded to our questions.
What is the most pressing issue you’d like to see addressed in the first 100 days of the next presidential term?
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Climate Change
Why is this issue your top priority?
- Because we can’t afford anything else I want until we cut our military budget significantly
- It is the hottest causing the most loss and death in multiple ways affecting all other issues.
- US sanctions have resulted in and continue to result in the deaths of thousands in those sanctioned nations. The US cannot continue to strangle smaller nations for the "crime" of not kowtowing (knowing) to Washington and allow puppet governments in their nation.
- Time is of the essence.
- Green New Deal
What, specifically, would you like to change, as it relates to the issue?
- While it was generally understood that the war in Afghanistan was a failure, the fact that Congress has voted to continue in spite of the FOIA revelations last December (made public by the Washington Post) when there is absolutely no denying that the war has been a lie for nearly 2 decades speaks to the power of the Military-Industrial Complex has over them.
- Complete overhaul in dealing with it and the impacts on all of us low income and POC. We need a people's bailout as well a UBI etc...
- End the cruel 60-year blockade against Cuba and resume normal relations
- Green New Deal.
- End fossil fuel subsidies.
Do you plan to vote in the upcoming election?
As we draw close to the November election, take some time to review our President for Peace platform and join us on Wednesday, August 26 at 7:30pmET for a virtual CODEPINK discussion on the Republican National Convention. RSVP here.