Summertime is the perfect time to crack open a good book… especially if it is one that challenges our culture of violence, grows our community, and educates for peace! As Malala Yousafzai aptly noted, "If you want to end the war then instead of sending guns, send books.”
We couldn’t agree more, and that’s why we are thrilled to announce CODEPINK’s virtual book club!
For our first session, we have selected Emergent Strategy by adrienne maree brown. Inspired by Octavia Butler's explorations of our human relationship to change, Emergent Strategy is radical self-help, society-help, and planet-help designed to shape the futures we want to live. Change is constant. The world is in a continual state of flux. It is a stream of ever-mutating, emergent patterns. Rather than steel ourselves against such change, this book invites us to feel, map, assess, and learn from the swirling patterns around us in order to better understand and influence them as they happen.
The book club will take place every other Monday from 5:00-6:30 PM PST / 6:00-7:30 MT / 7:00-8:30 CT / 8:00-9:30 PM EST.
Below is a schedule of the sessions. Anyone can join at any time, but we ask that they be up to date on the reading.
- Session 3 - Monday, August 6 (Pages 83- 121, Qs on pages 187-8)
- If you have a digital copy that is chapters: INTERDEPENDENCE AND DECENTRALIZATION: who we are and how we share and NONLINEAR AND ITERATIVE: the pace and pathways of change, along with the related questions in the reflection section at the end of the book
- Session 4 - Monday, August 20 (Pages 122-165, Qs on pages 189-90)
- If you have a digital copy that is chapters: RESILIENCE: how we recover and transform and CREATING MORE POSSIBILITIES: how we move towards life, along with the related questions in the reflection section at the end of the book
- Session 5 - Monday, September 17 (Pages 165-182, Qs on pages 191-274)
- If you have a digital copy that is chapter: CONVERSATIONS, along with the related questions in the reflection section at the end of the book
We will conduct our calls through Zoom, a video-conferencing tool which can be accessed online or by phone. Please sign up below so you can receive the link!
The book club will be co-facilitated by the CODEPINK team.
For more thought-provoking and inspiring reads that may be included in future sessions, check out our Recommended Reading List!