Are your Congresspeople supporting the vital peace amendments to the Fiscal Year 2021 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)?
The NDAA is must-pass legislation that outlines the budget and expenditures of the Department of Defense. In other words, it determines how much money the military will get, and what that money will be used for. Members of Congress add amendments to the NDAA including amendments for peace!
Click here to see if your member is supporting a 10% cut to the Pentagon and conditioning military assistance to Israel so that it does not fund annexation.
1. 10% CUT TO THE PENTAGON:
- The Sanders Amendment was introduced to the Senate by Senator Bernie Sanders and co-sponsored by Senator Ed Markey. It calls for a reduction of $74 billion – a mere 10% – to the Pentagon’s proposed budget, and for that money to be redirected to truly improve the lives of millions of Americans, such as making housing more accessible and improving education.
- The Pocan-Lee Amendment is the House counterpart to Senator Sanders’ amendment. It also advocates for the defense budget to be reduced and for Congress to instead devote more funding to dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.
2. CONDITION U.S. MILITARY ASSISTANCE TO ISRAEL
- The Van Hollen Amendment, which would prohibit Israel from using any U.S. funds to annex Palestinian territory in the West Bank.
Why track these amendments?
- Each of these amendments have the potential to greatly impact our country’s spending over the next year and beyond. The purpose of tracking which congresspeople endorse them is so we know who to focus on petitioning next, and so that we can support those who have already signed on.
Why should the Pentagon be defunded?
- The United States military’s budget is out of control. For the Fiscal Year 2021, the Pentagon is asking for a whopping $740.5 billion – more than half of the country’s discretionary spending. The majority of this money goes directly to perpetuating violence, destruction, and endless war. The Pentagon’s absurd budget harms Americans at home as well, by diverting funds that should be used to benefit the American people such as universal healthcare and welfare programs, and by fueling violence on our streets. Even the modest 10% budget cut many congresspeople are calling for could vastly improve the lives of millions of Americans and lessen our country’s damage abroad.
EMAIL AND CALL YOUR CONGRESSPEOPLE NOW — TELL THEM TO USE THE Y2021 NDAA TO DEFUND WAR AND ISRAELI APARTHEID
More actions that you can take to hold Israel accountable and end war:
- Tell the DNC to name and condemn Israeli occupation in their 2020 political platform
- Tell Congress that the next chairperson of the House Foreign Affairs Committee must be a Representative for peace