President Biden nominated Elliott Abrams to a key advisory committee on diplomacy. Elliott Abrams knows absolutely nothing about diplomacy as he has made a career of lying and making policy that led to the death and suffering of innocent people from Guatemala to Iraq. He embraces militarism, covers up for gross human rights abuses, and has a history of supporting authoritarian regimes.
Let's go over Abrams' resume, shall we?
- In the 1980s, he defended the infamous Guatemalan General Efraín Ríos Montt, whose violent crackdown on the indigenous Ixil Mayan people of Guatemala was so brutal that it was classified as genocide by the United Nations.
- He denied that the Salvadoran military was responsible for the devastating El Mozote massacre where, in 1981, a U.S.-trained battalion murdered more than 500 civilians, slitting the throats of children along the way.
- He is vehemently anti-Palestinian and shamelessly supports Israel. He repeatedly undercut any U.S. pressure on Israel to stop the building of settlements.
- In 1991, Abrams pled guilty to withholding information from Congress related to his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, the secret and illegal scam in the 1980s to siphon profits from Iranian weapons sales to support the right-wing Contra rebels trying to overthrow the Sandinista government.
- Abrams was a key supporter of the disastrous invasion of Iraq. In 1998, he submitted a letter to President Clinton encouraging him to depose Saddam Hussein.
- Abrams championed the U.S. overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.
- Abrams’ opposition to the Iran Nuclear Deal is epitomized by his attempts to encourage Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear sites before negotiations became too serious.
- In January 2019, Abrams was appointed to be the U.S. Special Representative for Venezuela, and used his position to support an attempted coup, quash diplomatic talks, and increase brutal sanctions, even during the pandemic.
So... would you hire him for a job that requires the applicant to be diplomatic? We sure as hell wouldn't. The Senate approving his appointment would be a disaster for peace and justice.
Danaka and the entire CODEPINK team
P.S. The Biden Administration is trying to send cluster bombs, which are illegal in over 100 countries, to Ukraine. Help us stop the transfer of cluster bombs by writing to your members of Congress!