Participate in CODEPINK’s Summer of Peace by hosting a peace-themed trivia bowl, either online or in person. Invite friends and social justice allies to join your peace trivia bowl involving teams of 4-5 people collaborating in break-out rooms or at side tables to answer questions posed first in the larger group.
Script: Hi, I’m _______. Welcome to the Summer of Peace Trivia Bowl. Here’s how the trivia bowl works. First the rules:
1) You may collaborate in teams to answer the questions, but you are not allowed to research answers online.
2) Respect your teammates. Be nice. Be collaborative.. Let’s have fun!
There will be one round of ten questions. The team that answers the most questions correctly wins the game–though everyone who participates will be considered a peace champion.
"I will announce questions to everyone in the larger group, then you and your teammates discuss each question, agree on the answer, and write it down on a piece of paper or answer card. After a few minutes, I will call you back to the larger group to share your answers. When I say, “One, two, three, answer cards up!” a representative of your group will hold up the answer card. Those teams who answered correctly will score points. This process will be repeated throughout the game, with the team receiving the most points declared the winner."
Sample Trivia Questions
1) In 1969, as the Vietnam War raged, Beatle John Lennon and his new bride Yoko Ono held a bed-in for peace to protest the US war in Vietnam. How long did they spend their honeymoon in bed, speaking to reporters about the need to end the US war on Vietnam?
2) What was the name of the hotel and the city where they stayed?
Amsterdam Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam
3) The symbol now known internationally as the “peace symbol” or “peace sign” superimposes the letters N and D. This symbol was first adopted by which British organization?
Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND)
4) In 1973, which government tried to ban the use of the peace sign by its opponents?
5) In the US, conscientious objectors are placed in the Selective Service Alternative Service Program to perform jobs that contribute to the health and safety of the nation. What two types of jobs might meet this criteria?
Jobs in the fields of health care, education and care-giving
6) In the US, a man cannot base his claim for conscientious objection on politics or what?
7) CODEPINK asks lawmakers to sign a pledge not to take money from the National Rifle Association and the 5 biggest military contractors. What are the names of the five biggest military contractors from whom lawmakers should refuse contributions?
Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Raytheon
8) What are the names of at least three lawmakers who have signed the CODEPINK pledge not to accept contributions from the NRA or the top 5 military contractors?
Clarke, Watson, McGovern, Grijalva, Jayapal, Khanna, Lee, Holmes, Schakowsky, Waters, Velazquez, Omar, Newman
9) What are three things outlawed in the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
Development, production, stockpiling, deployment of nuclear weapons
10) Ninety-five countries are signatories to the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. Can you name the two countries in Europe that are signatories?