As COP26 approaches, climate activists around the world are taking to the streets demanding world “leaders” act with the urgency needed considering the dire state of the climate crisis. Fridays for Future DC and NYC joined forces where young people left school for the day to lead and participate in a rally with a focus to #UprootTheSystem for #ClimateJustice. We spoke at last month’s Friday for Future climate strike and will be showing up in solidarity at future actions.
In order to truly address the climate crisis, we must cut the pentagon budget as it:
- “The military itself is a huge polluter — and is often deployed to sustain the very extractive industries that destabilize our climate. This climate chaos, in turn, leads to massive displacement, militarized borders, and the prospect of further conflict.”
- The fossil fuel industry relies on militarization to uphold its operations around the globe.
- Oil is the leading cause of war: An estimated one-quarter to one-half of all interstate wars since 1973 have been linked to oil.
- Climate change will lead to an increasingly militarized society
- Estimates project that around 200 million people will be displaced by the middle of century due to climate change.
- Leaders have already publicly stated that in the future, we won’t be fighting wars for oil, but will fight wars over the water supply.