(CODEPINKers and allies at one of numerous actions in front of the White House, supporting the nuclear deal with Iran.)
We successfully defended diplomacy!
In July, the US, Iran and other countries -- Russia, China, the UK, France and Germany-- announced a historic agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, AKA "the Iran Deal", to restrict Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for the easing of economic sanctions.
On September 10, 42 Senate Democrats blocked the GOP effort to derail the Iran Deal and potentially lead us into another war of choice. Diplomacy wins!
To show public support for the deal and to pressure Congress to vote for diplomacy, activists from around the country joined CODEPINK in DC to take action:
- We walked the halls of Congress, lobbying and visiting with undecided representatives.
- We called out war criminal Dick Cheney at his major Iran speech.
- We helped organize a press conference with speakers that included Sarah Shourd, US journalist imprisoned in Iran for over 400 days.
- We held a sit-in (and dropped a 20-foot banner) to call out Democrat Senator Chuck Schumer for opposing the deal.
- We created a peaceful presence at the fear-mongering rally featuring Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.
- We did a Light Brigade vigil on the Capitol steps to “Seal the Deal.”
- Slideshow of actions in DC and around the US: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126982541@N02/albums/72157657991683382
- CODEPINK co-director Medea Benjamin debated the Iran Deal with Senator/prez candidate Ted Cruz:
We at CODEPINK will continue to follow closely the implementation of the Iran Deal.
Here's a follow up for supporters: plan a trip to Iran through programs offered by our allies at Global Exchange and Fellowship of Reconciliation. Citizen diplomacy is more important and relevant than ever.
Resources on the Iran Deal
- Quarter page flyer
- Infographic: Why Should Congress Support the Iran Deal?
- Infographic: How many votes do we need to seal the deal in Congress?
- Fact sheet from the Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Answers to Common Objections to the Iran Deal, by Janet Weil
- In March, 2012, after the 9th anniversary of the Iraq invasion, we hand-delivered our Women Say No War on Iran petition to First Lady Michelle Obama.
Media Coverage of Iran Deal