(CODEPINKers and allies at one of numerous actions in front of the White House, supporting the nuclear deal with Iran.)
In 2015 we successfully defended diplomacy. Now we need to do it again!
The US, UK, France, Germany, Russia, China and Iran announced a historic agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, a.k.a. the Iran Deal, to restrict Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for the easing of economic sanctions.
President Trump and members of the the GOP want to undo this major win for diplomacy. Trump is expected to announce on Thursday, October 12 that he will decertify the Iran Deal. This will pass the buck back to Congress, giving them 60 days to impose new sanctions or pass new legislation not included in the original mandate. Either action would kill the deal. We need public pressure to defend diplomacy and keep the deal intact!
Resources on the Iran Deal:
Decertifying The Iran Deal Would Probably Be Mostly Symbolic, by Michael Wilner
Iran nuclear deal: What you need to know, by Amanda Erickson
We did it in 2015. We can do it again!
The 2015 Iran Deal was passed thanks to grassroots activism across the country. CODEPINK and others:
- Walked the halls of Congress, lobbying and visiting with undecided representatives.
- Called out war criminal Dick Cheney at his major Iran speech.
- Helped organize a press conference with speakers that included Sarah Shourd, US journalist imprisoned in Iran for over 400 days.
- Held a sit-in (and dropped a 20-foot banner) to call out Democrat Senator Chuck Schumer for opposing the deal.
- Created a peaceful presence at the fear-mongering rally featuring Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.
- Did a Light Brigade vigil on the Capitol steps to “Seal the Deal.”
- Slideshow of actions in DC and around the US: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126982541@N02/albums/72157657991683382
2015 Resources on the Iran Deal
- Quarter page flyer
- Infographic: Why Should Congress Support the Iran Deal?
- Infographic: How many votes do we need to seal the deal in Congress?
- Fact sheet from the Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Answers to Common Objections to the Iran Deal, by Janet Weil
Media Coverage of 2015 Iran Deal
- In March, 2012, after the 9th anniversary of the Iraq invasion, we hand-delivered our Women Say No War on Iran petition to First Lady Michelle Obama.