Inspired by urgent action needed to address climate change, Jane Fonda is upending her life and spending 4 months in Washington D.C. this fall. Every Friday she's there will be "Fire Drill Friday" to bring urgent attention to important intersectional analysis around Climate Change.
Funding endless war is an existential threat to human life and one of the leading causes of climate change, which is why it’s urgent that we come together in Washington D.C. and make the connection between U.S. militarism and climate change.
We will be there every Friday with special attention on the kick off, October 11, where Medea will be arrested with Jane, Women's Day November 1st when you can join Jodie to be arrested with Jane, and Friday, November 8th we'll need all hands on deck to show the world that there is an anti-war movement that understands war and the cost to the planet. Click here to access our Friday November 8 Social Media Toolkit, and help us spread the word.
On Jane's birthday, December 20th, we will be there to celebrate her life, and her giving it to peace and the planet.
Weekly Focus Topics
War/Military: Join Jodie Evans, we'll need all hands on deck to connect the military and climate change! Access our social media toolkit to spread the word!
Environmental Justice: Join Medea Benjamin
Water: Join Medea Benjamin
Food Justice & Agriculture: Join Clara Trippe
Migration & Human Rights: Join Jodie Evans
Join Jodie Evans to discuss the Peace Economy and Jobs & Just Transitions
Climate & Health with Jodie Evans (Jane’s Birthday Party)
Dec 26/27 (Christmas)
Forests: Join Ariel Gold
Jan 2/3 (New Year)
Who’s to blame? Who should pay? Fossil Fuel companies: Join Ariel Gold
Jane’s last Friday action: Join Ariel Gold
Fire Drill Friday Logistics
Thank you for being part of Fire Drill Fridays! Below is the weekly schedule and logistical information.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Teach-In: Thursday evenings (beginning October 17th, ending January 9th)
- Watch live and share on CODEPINK Facebook and Twitter.
- Action: Fridays (beginning October 11th, ending January 10th)
The rally will take place on the southeast lawn of the Capitol Building, across from the Library of Congress and near the intersection of 1st St & Independence Ave SE
The rally will go from 11am–12pm, followed most weeks by a civil disobedience action. See the Legal FAQ for info on risking arrest on U.S. Capitol grounds. The civil disobedience action will shift to different locations around Capitol Hill based on the specific targeting for the week’s action.
We expect that anyone arrested will be released within a few hours and have the option to pay a small fine, usually $50, rather than have to come back for a court date.
What to bring:
- Wear something red (we will also have red buttons available)
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that are suitable for walking in grass
- Wear layers, weather is often unpredictable in DC and can change throughout the day
- If you are planning on risking arrest, please bring a valid, state-issued photo ID along with $50 cash (we will have cash available if you cannot cover this on your own)
- Protest signs — we will have signs available and want to keep these actions generally free from organization branding
What not to bring:
- No drugs, weapons, or alcohol
- If you are planning on risking arrest, please do not wear jewelry or anything delicate or irreplaceable