Are you a fantastic storyteller and wordsmither, excited about making a difference? Are you sick and tired of the military and weapons companies spreading their propaganda that violence is the way to create peace? Here is your opportunity to infiltrate the media messages of peace and the goodness of people across the world confronting the war machine and demanding conversion to a world where human rights, not conquest are the principles we live by.
CODEPINK is a small kick ass group of activists who infiltrate the war machine to bring messages of peace and diplomacy. We are looking for someone to help us refine and tell our stories of campaigning peace and an end to all wars. We are part of a coalition of 100 organizations that expose the destruction caused by the war machine. We focus specifically on the areas of Yemen, Syria, Gaza, Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Venezuela, Honduras, Columbia, Cuba, boycotting and divesting from weapons companies, demilitarizing our streets and borders, and more.
As a key member of our team you would:
- Work closely with the team to identify and create newsworthy features related to our campaigns
- Work with and assist our Social Media Director
- Be prepared and respond to breaking news related to our campaigns
- Develop and execute media strategies, including managing daily interaction with media outlets, pitching articles written by the staff, oversee creation of written media-related materials such as press statements, advisories, and talking points.
- Tell the story of our organization and our campaigns to end war
- Developing long-term communications strategies, identifying messaging opportunities, and recognizing possible partnership opportunities.
- Coordinate and communicate with staff about our media efforts, successes, and opportunities.
- Oversee the cultivation and nurturing of relationships with members of the media and the media staff of allied and coalition organizations.
- Prepare and carry out media strategies during CODEPINK events and projects.
Education and Qualifications
- 3-5 years of experience as a journalist, media, or communications professional.
- 3-5 years of experience in managing press inquiries.
- Skilled in cultivating and maintaining media databases and press lists, including by specialized topic area.
- Skilled at pitching stories and articles.
- Adept with Meltwater media software.
- Excellent and engaging storytelling and writing skills.
- Passionate about ending war.
Please email a cover letter expressing an interest in the position and résumé to Kirsten@codepink.org mentioning "Communications Director" in the subject line. Salary will depend on experience.
CODEPINK is a women-led grassroots peace & social justice movement working to end U.S. wars and militarism, support human rights initiatives, and redirect our tax dollars into healthcare, education, healthy jobs and other life-affirming programs. Please visit www.codepink.org for more information about our organization.