It's beyond time to take care of each other — Love leads to Peace
As government officials across the country (and world) continue to enforce the idea of “social distancing” in order to prevent the rapid spread of Covid-19, it is local communities that have taken it upon themselves to instead practice physical distancing and social solidarity by helping each other in creative and effective ways. If there is any good that can come out of a pandemic, it is that we see cultivating our local peace economies can have a positive impact on the people of the world as a whole. Rejecting the dangerous surge in xenophobia and racism, and resisting individualism and other war economy ways of addressing safety. Taking the collective approach to staying safe in the time of coronavirus as an opportunity to practice interdependence, community care, resource sharing, and mutual aid.
As activists cultivating our local peace economies ...
- What can be deepened and supported that already exists?
- What can be built in response to this moment, something quick and temporary that doesn’t need to last long?
- What can be started now that will be carried forward into ten years, twenty years, two generations and more?
- Spend some time out in nature - physical distance doesn’t mean you have to stay in your home. Go for a walk or a hike. Go bird watching. Listen to the sounds of Mother Earth.
- Check in on your elderly neighbors and those whose health is more compromised
- When need knocks; answer with your open generous heart
- Connect on Slack, Facebook Groups, listservs, and calls - who do you know that is isolated and needs to hear your voice.
Solidarity and cooperation between peoples have become a vital necessity for the survival of the human species, unlike individualism, greed, competition, isolation, chauvinism and racism that the dominant culture generates.
We can build the future on solidarity and peace economies, but must be able to think in decades and continents, even while the next steps can be measured in weeks and neighborhoods.
We must grow mutual support, demand and take back a just and healthy life for EVERY one of us. The scale of the crisis is immense, and the official infrastructure is not designed for life but for death. What we do locally, what we do together builds the future we desire.
“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, and so do all those who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given.” J.R.R. Tolkien
How are you practising #mutualaid solidarity in the time of COVID-19?
Tools from our allies and partners on how to meet this time as activists:
Take more action!
- Make your own masks and share them with your community: Pattern for a Hand-Stitched Fabric Face Mask
- Print and post our "I Love Healthcare Workers" window signs
- Sample tweets to take your activism to Congress!
- Tell Congress to double the CDC budget
- The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them
- Telling the right story on race during COVID
- How do we spread peace and love in the time of Coronavirus?
- Donate towards the Iranian Covid-19 relief fund
- Sign the petition: Push diplomacy and lift sanctions on Iran and email Congress if you live in the US!
- Five Principles for Just Covid-19 Relief and Stimulus
- A Swift and Inclusive Bailout, For and By The People
- Chinese socialism defeating coronavirus
- Eight Emerging Lessons: From Coronavirus to Climate Action
- Coronavirus Is a Historic Trigger Event. Now Is the Time for a Social Movement to Rise
- Solidarity is this- how do we go about practicing solidarity, as activists, as organizations, as people who care deeply about building inclusive schools, campuses, workplaces and neighborhoods?
- The Next System Project- systemic problems require systemic solutions
- Coronavirus Capitalism — and How to Beat It
- The coronavirus pandemic can empower us to demand change
- Why Coronavirus Is Humanity’s Wake-Up Call
- Coronavirus offers "a blank page for a new beginning" says Li Edelkoort
- Collective Care Is Our Best Weapon against COVID-19
- Demands from Grassroots Organizers Concerning COVID-19
- HOLY SH*T! 7 things to do instead of hoarding toilet paper
- Social Justice in a time of Social Distancing
- Mutual Aid
- Naomi Klein and Coronavirus and disaster capitalism
- Cuban solidarity and doctors
- What coronavirus revealed about national mindsets across the world — and how Cuba came out on top
- Solicialist Solutions to a world crisis
- Big Door Brigade
- Statement for a Feminist Foreign Policy to Confront the Coronavirus Pandemic
Cultivate a peace economy
- Take Heart! Humans are Amazing
- 10 Steps for Rebalancing our World in Times of Crisis
- Plant seeds – grow a garden; ease stress, provide added food security
- Teen Vogue: People Are Fighting the Coronavirus With Mutual Aid Efforts to Help Each Other
- Tips on working from home
- Report of the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Wash your hands https://dorimidnight.com/uncategorized/wash-your-hands/
- CORONAVIRUS RESOURCE KIT
- Who Will Win the Fight for a Post-Coronavirus America?
- Here is an example of a local resource guide (Los Angeles)
- 6 Ways You Can Help Your Community Respond to Coronavirus
- How to donate your credit card rewards to those affected by COVID-19
- The Offers and Needs Market
- NYC FRONT LINES DOCTOR EXPLAINS HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET INFECTED: AND STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
- Introducing the Principles of Equitable Disaster Response
- Protect you & your loved ones with beautiful handmade masks!
- Building local power: conversations and new ideas for breaking the hold of corporate monopolies and expanding the power of communities to chart their own future
- Upstream podcast: Radical ideas and inspiring stories for a just transition to a more beautiful and equitable world
More inspiring activities
- Download and enjoy the CODEPINK coloring book
- Songs for World Peace on Spotify
- Social distancing festival www.socialdistancingfestival.com
- Read - check out these books
- Movies - watch our recommended flicks
- Listen to podcasts: https://irresistible.org/podcast/corona
- CODEPINK radio shows
- Watch webinars so you can continue with us to End War and bring the money home to the needs of the people that are so exposed during this time - check out CODEPINK videos and webinars
- Travel Plans on Hold? You Can Visit 500 International Museums From the Comfort of Your Own Home Thanks to Google
- Share your peace and love creations at #createfearlessly
- Lyla June Johnston - Hozhó
- 6000 ebooks opened to public
- DJ D Nice Virtual Dance parties through Instagram live on Saturday nights, @dnice.
- If you're not in lockdown, read this!
- A playlist to listen to while flattening the curve
- Materhorn Hope
- Home On Your Own With Your Kids
- Creative Ways to Handle Stress During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Afrofuturist-visioning, real-talk food-for-your soul pop culture podcast
- Radical Imagination-conversations with thinkers and changemakers from multiple fields working to deliver equity wins at scale
Exercise~ here some free offerings online:
- Palo Santo Wellness Boutique - Yoga Schedule
- Orange Theory - Fitness Exercise
- A resource guide to wellness
- Sweat out your prayers with this free dance class!