On February 24, 2021, Twitter suspended the account of CODEPINK National Co-director Ariel Gold, an outspoken feminist advocate for Palestinian rights and an end to U.S. militarism.
Sign the petition and tweet at Twitter to reinstate/unsuspend Ariel’s account and cease its censorship of Palestinian rights and anti-war advocates.
We the undersigned ask you to reinstate/unsuspend the Twitter account of Ariel Gold (@ArielElyseGold), the national co-director of CODEPINK, who on February 24, found her Twitter account suspended. No explanation has been provided as to why her account was suspended or when it will be reinstated/unsuspended. Ariel has submitted four appeals, but is still mystified as to why she was suddenly suspended. Each appeal is met with an autoreply confirming Ariel’s email--nothing else.
In addition to reinstating/unsuspending Ariel Gold’s account, we call on you to cease targeting CODEPINK and its staff for false violations. We ask you to stop targeting Palestinian rights and anti-war activists. Engaging in peaceful political dissent should not be a crime.
Here’s what happened:
- Starting at the end of January 2021, Twitter began flagging tweets by Ariel (@ArielElyseGold) and CODEPINK (@codepink) for violating their rules. These “violations” included Ariel celebrating a 5-mile morning run during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, Ariel and CODEPINK advocating for $2,000 stimulus checks, CODEPINK advertising a webinar regarding U.S.-Russia relations, CODEPINK mourning the loss of a Palestinian murdered by the Israeli military, Ariel shoveling her driveway after a big snowstorm, and Ariel opposing mansplaining (see below for images of all the tweets that were flagged for violating Twitter rules)
- On February 8, 2021, CODEPINK filed an appeal about it and Ariel’s tweets being flagged for “rule violations.” Twitter’s reply only stated that CODEPINK could “appeal an account suspension.” ???
- From February 24, when Ariel’s account was suspended, through today, Ariel has filed numerous appeals through [email protected], She has not received any replies from Twitter.
It’s not just CODEPINK:
- On February 23, 373 Twitter accounts associated with Armenia, Russia, and Iran were suspended. According to Twitter, a number of these account suspensions were for “undermining faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.”
About CODEPINK and Ariel Gold:
CODEPINK is a women-led grassroots organization working to end U.S. wars and militarism, support peace and human rights initiatives, and redirect our tax dollars into healthcare, education, green jobs, and other life-affirming programs.
- Ariel Gold is an outspoken advocate for Palestinian rights. She is also an anti-racist activist who works to stop antisemitism. She has frequently been targeted on Twitter — sometimes with hate speech or threats of violence — by defenders of Israel’s status quo. Through Twitter, email, and snail-mail, Ariel has received death threats focused on her work for Palestinian rights. These threats were reported to and followed up by the FBI.
- CODEPINK and Ariel are strongly opposed to NATO, cold war incitement against China, U.S. sanctions on Venezuela, Iran, and other countries, the war in Yemen, weapons sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. CODEPINK supports diplomacy with Iran, an end to Israeli apartheid, divestment from U.S. weapons companies, peace in the Korean Penninsula, decreasing the Pentagon budget, troop withdrawal from the Middle East, closing U.S. military bases around the world, demilitarizing U.S. police forces, and other pursuits to end U.S. imperialism and create a more peaceful world.
Click here to see all the @codepink and @ArielElyseGold tweets that were flagged for violating Twitter rules
Please reinstate/unsuspend the Twitter account of Ariel Gold (@ArielElyseGold), cease targeting CODEPINK and its staff for false violations, stop targeting anti-war activists. Engaging in peaceful political dissent should not be a crime.