On August 22, 2021, Twitter suspended the account of CODEPINK National Co-director Ariel Gold, an outspoken feminist advocate for Palestinian rights and an end to U.S. militarism. This is the second time Twitter suspended Ariel's account for no reason.
Sign the petition and tweet at Twitter to reinstate/unsuspend Ariel’s account and cease its censorship of Palestinian rights and anti-war advocates.
We the undersigned ask you to reinstate/unsuspend the Twitter account of Ariel Gold (@ArielElyseGold), the national co-director of CODEPINK, who on August 22, 2021, found her Twitter account suspended. No explanation has been provided from you as to why her account was suspended or when it will be reinstated/unsuspended.
This is not the first time Twitter has suspended Ms. Gold’s account or targeted Ariel and CODEPINK. Beginning in January 2021, Twitter began flagging random tweets by Ariel and CODEPINK. On February 24, 2021, Twitter suddenly suspended Ariel's account. On March 1, 2021, Twitter replied to Ariel that she had not violated their rules and reinstated her account. It seems that Twitter has suspended her again for no reason.
In addition to reinstating/unsuspending Ariel Gold’s account, we call on you to cease targeting CODEPINK and its staff for false violations. We ask you to stop targeting peace advocates and to cease censorship of peaceful political dissent.
Here’s what happened:
- On August 22, 2021, Ariel woke up to find her account suspended. Her most recent tweets had been about Palestinians in Gaza protesting and being shot at by the Israeli military and tweets of food that she had cooked for the Jewish holiday of Shabbat.
- Starting at the end of January 2021, Twitter began flagging tweets by Ariel (@ArielElyseGold) and CODEPINK (@codepink) for violating their rules. These “violations” included Ariel celebrating a 5-mile morning run during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, Ariel and CODEPINK advocating for $2,000 stimulus checks, CODEPINK advertising a webinar regarding U.S.-Russia relations, CODEPINK mourning the loss of a Palestinian murdered by the Israeli military, Ariel shoveling her driveway after a big snowstorm, and Ariel opposing mansplaining
- On February 8, 2021, CODEPINK filed an appeal about it and Ariel’s tweets being flagged for “rule violations.” Twitter’s reply only stated that CODEPINK could “appeal an account suspension.”
- From February 24, when Ariel’s account was suspended.
- On March 1, 2021, Twitter admitted that Ariel had not violated any rules and reinstated her account.
See all Tweets by Ariel over the past three days prior to her being suspended and all flagged Tweets by Ariel and CODEPINK leading up to Ariel’s account being suspended in February 2021 here.
About CODEPINK and Ariel Gold:
- CODEPINK is a women-led grassroots organization working to end U.S. wars and militarism, support peace and human rights initiatives, and redirect our tax dollars into healthcare, education, green jobs, and other life-affirming programs.
- Ariel Gold is an outspoken advocate for Palestinian rights and an end to wars and militarism. She is also an anti-racist activist who works to stop antisemitism. She has frequently been targeted on Twitter — sometimes with hate speech or threats of violence — by defenders of Israel’s status quo. Through Twitter, email, and snail-mail, Ariel has received death threats focused on her work for Palestinian rights. These threats were reported to, and followed up by, the FBI.
- CODEPINK and Ariel are strong advocates for cutting the Pentagon budget and ending U.S. wars and militarism. They oppose cold war incitement against China, U.S. sanctions on Venezuela, Iran and other countries, the war in Yemen, weapons sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE. CODEPINK supports diplomacy with Iran, an end to Israeli apartheid, divestment from U.S. weapons companies, peace in the Korean peninsula, troop withdrawal from the Middle East, welcoming refugees, closing U.S. military bases around the world, demilitarizing U.S. police forces, and other pursuits for a more peaceful world.
Click here to see all the @codepink and @ArielElyseGold tweets that were flagged for violating Twitter rules
Please reinstate/unsuspend the Twitter account of Ariel Gold (@ArielElyseGold), cease targeting CODEPINK and its staff for false violations, stop targeting anti-war activists. Engaging in peaceful political dissent should not be a crime.