Divestment Campaign Launch Summit
On October 21-22, 2017, CODEPINK, along with other peace and anti-nuclear groups, is hosting a Launch Summit to both kick-off the “Divest from the War Machine” campaign and to celebrate the national U.S. television release of the Shadow World, a film about the global arms trade.
The Summit will take place at a university in Washington DC, and will serve as a major catalyst for education, outreach, and coalition-building for this divestment campaign. Cosponsors for the event include Institute for Policy Studies, Peace Action, United for Peace and Justice, Center for Creative Nonviolence, World Beyond War, and more.
Divestment from the arms industry means divesting (removing invested assets) from any company that derives its profits from the development, manufacture, maintenance, service, or supply of weapons, technology, or equipment involved in major global arms deals. The new divestment campaign will encourage universities, religious organizations, retirement funds, mutual funds, private investors, and other financial institutions in the United States to take action to reduce violent global conflicts and slow the hyper-militarization of our world by severing financial ties with companies that produce weapons and equipment involved in major arms deals.
With this divestment movement we hope to:
- uncover the hold the military industrial complex has on our government and our foreign policy
- spark a vital public debate questioning the role of weapons manufacturers and military contractors in perpetuating conflict around the globe
- expose how our financial and educational institutions are supporting those companies
- inspire the public and investors to pressure these institutions to divest
- hold the arms industry accountable in political and financial spheres for its culpability in the death and displacement of millions of innocent people
- condemn our government’s prioritization of military spending and demand that diplomacy and aid, not militarism, be our country’s response to global conflicts.
The launch of the divestment campaign will coincide with the release of the documentary The Shadow World. This film, based on Andrew Feinstein’s book of the same name, takes a critical look at the business of war by examining the role corruption, greed, and illicit weapons dealings play in the global arms industry. The film will be released on US television in November.