CODEPINK ACTION CALENDAR
upcoming CODEPINK actions on our calendar below. Actions are listed by
state alphabetically. You can also email CODEPINK local coordinators to find out what's going on near you - see contacts on the local group page.
Monday, October 1st 2012
Afghanistan : Women Making Change
October 01, 2012 - October 10, 2012
After three decades of warfare, Afghanistan continues to strive towards reconstruction, despite waning support for the NATO-backed government and the Taliban insurgency. Within this challenging environment, Afghan women are taking reconstruction, coupled with creating social change, into their own hands. On this tour, you will experience first-hand, the inspirational work of Afghan grassroots organizations, speaking to many of the women leading the drive for change.Specifically participants will explore the current political landscape and the challenges facing grassroots organizations in reconciling a history of conflict with today's needs and threats. Join Global Exchange Reality Tours and Afghans4Tomorrow as we learn and support the tremendous local efforts trying to rebuild a nation.
Program Highlights may include:
* Meet with Women's organizations and vocational training centers.
* Learn about micro-lending projects and small businesses for women at PARWAZ.
* Visit the Red Cross Rehabilitation Clinic for Mine Victims and de-mining groups to learn how Afghans are recovering from the devastating legacy of more than 25 years of war.
* Visit newly built and opened girls schools.
* Visit the Afghan Commission for Human Rights, Women for Women International, the W.O.M.A.N literacy program and Ministry of Women's Affairs.
* Visit the National Art Gallery and History Museum
* Visit PARSA, an Afghan Widow Project and gift shop.
* Speak with students at Kabul University.
* Visit female human rights activists.
* Learn about the lives of street children during a visit to Ashiana (Afghan Street Children Project).
* Meet with female judges.
* Visit Afghans4Tomorrow schools for girls in Kabul.
* Double/triple room accommodations
* Two meals a day (lunch excluded)
* On-ground transportation (including airport transfers)
* All program activities
* Trip leader, Guides and translators
* Honoraria to all host speakers, organizations and communities.
* Based on the number of participants there may be 1-2 single rooms available. However, most delegations will use most rooms for multiple occupancy.
* International airfare NOT included
How to Register:
We must receive your application and a non-refundable deposit of $400 two months before departure. A late fee of $50 will be applied to late applications. Payments by Mastercard or Visa are welcome.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. We strongly urge people of color to apply. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants.